Rift’s new system software, previously known as Rift Core 2.0, is now rolling out to everyone, bringing with it a number of performance improvements, UI updates, and a more customizable Oculus Home area with support for up to eight people.
First teased at Oculus Connect 5, the new update includes more performance improvements that now allow everything down to minimum spec computers to run Oculus Home and Dash smoothly.
Rift Core 2.0 beta branch users have been privy to a custom home area since last year, with plenty of random items to unlock for visiting Home each week, and more recently, the ability to import your own 3D creations. But now playing games and unlocking achievements will get you game-specific items too, such as animated objects, sculptures, trophies, and avatar clothing—all of it now available on the default stable branch.
A total of 32 unlockable objects are available across nine titles, including Loco Dojo, Moss, SUPERHOT VR, Echo Arena, Brass Tactics, Job Simulator, OrbusVR, Arizona Sunshine, and the Lone Echo II Trailer Experience. Oculus will soon allow developers to create Home items commemorating pre-orders, specific purchase incentives, and participation mementos.
All Rift users can now invite up to eight friends simultaneously for social hangouts and co-watching events that include any content you can cast from your desktop.
Here’s a quick guide on how to visit a friend’s Home:
To visit your friend’s Home:
- Open the Oculus app on your computer.
- Click your name from the bottom left menu to open your Friends List.
- Select the friend whose Home you want to visit.
- Click “Visit Home”, then put on your headset.
To visit your friend’s Home from within VR:
- Open the Oculus app on your computer and put on your headset.
- Press the menu button on your left Touch controller to access the Home menu.
- Select Places from the left sidebar.
- Point at the Home you want to visit, press the grip trigger on your Touch controller to grab the Home’s sphere, and then break the sphere to teleport to that Home.
To invite friends to your home, simply click on Social and click your friend’s name to send them an invite.
The post ‘Oculus Home’ Update Brings New Improvements, Social Features & More to All Users appeared first on Road to VR.